Sunday 12 August 2012

Why do I wear a poppy?

Why do I wear a poppy? I’ll tell you if I may,
Because I believe remembrance is... not only for one day.
I wear it for the fallen, and for those falling still
For those who come back broken in body or in will.
For the parents, spouses, siblings where bereavement takes its toll.
Whose pain will never leave them, It eats into their soul
For the wino on the corner, Of his old...life nothing’s left.

Now he wishes when in battle he had died a hero’s death.
For the lad who loved a kick-about in the park with all his mates,
But now his legs are held together with pins and metal plates
For the selfless men and women whose final journey home
Is in a Union flag-draped coffin on comrades’ shoulders borne.
For all those marching proudly In Remembrance Day parades
My poppy’s worn in gratitude for the sacrifice they made.
(Writer unnown - contemporary poem 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment